Non-namespace aware Yadis file parsing

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Fri May 19 21:30:02 UTC 2006

Dan raised the issue of namespaces in the Yadis file. I've been
giving it some thought, in particular whether we require implementors
to truly process them all under all circumstances, or we think people
might get aware of namespace-unaware XML parsing, or even regexes.

It appears to me that if we don't require full XML parsing on the
other end,
  - there may be security problems (relying parties may mis-interpret
the content of a Yadis file)
  - there may be interoperability problems (because it's hard to test
against a spec -- for "restricted namespaces a la Yadis conventions"
-- that doesn't exist)
  - there may be substantial extensibility problems (e.g. can't
insert CDATA into Yadis files, may conflict with other namespaces in
the future etc.)

So the conclusion I have come to so far is that we got to require
full namespace support.

Does anybody agree or disagree with that?

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.