Yadis Standardization

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Sat May 20 06:15:42 UTC 2006

There have been some conversations in the background on making Yadis
1.0 an "official" standard by a recognized standards organization.
How important such a "blessing" is depends on who you ask, but it's
clear that there are certainly people for whom this is important.

One often-mentioned reason is that other official standards can only
reference, and build on, Yadis if it is a standard of a recognized
standards organization such as W3C, IETF, OASIS, ISO, IEEE etc. etc.

Given that Yadis uses the XRDS format (well, a subset) that was
defined in OASIS, and given that one of the methods to find the XRDS
document associated with a given identity URL is taken from OASIS as
well, some of us thought that OASIS should be the first avenue to
explore.

We now have an offer on the table to incorporate Yadis, without
change, into some of the OASIS draft standards documents that are
going through the process (specifically XRI Resolution 2.0 Working
Draft 11). If we did this, Yadis would become an OASIS standard as
part of that document going through the OASIS standardization process.

 From my perspective, this would be A Good Thing.

If you think that it wouldn't, this would be an excellent time to
speak up ... if you speak up to disagree ;-), keep in mind however
that standards work is quite time consuming, something that the open-
source community is not usually equipped to do very well, and that
this might well be the most cost-effective method at our disposal ...

If I don't hear any loud screams some time really soon, I take this
as agreement that you guys in the Yadis community agree ...

[Note this is not about OpenID, just about Yadis. OpenID would be a
separate subject.]

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.