Yadis conformance

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Wed May 24 20:45:47 UTC 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006 17:33:19 -0700, Recordon, David wrote:
> Hmm, it doesn't seem to find the Yadis file on
> recordond.pip.verisignlabs.com or exampleuser.livejournal.com.

I get a response from http://recordond.pip.verisgnlabs.com

The code isn't doing anything to turn a non-URL into a URL (per 3.1 and
6.1.1), perhaps it should. It seems reasonable to me that a relying party
agent might do some basic checks to user input and attempt to turn them
into an absolute URL if they look like a domain name or a domain name and
a path. However, without clearer instructions on resolving a Yadis ID to a
Yadis URL from the spec, I stuck with "It's got to be a URL, and that
means we don't assume a scheme".

On http://exampleuser.livejournal.com , LiveJournal doesn't yet support
YADIS. Their HTML header reads:

content="http://exampleuser.livejournal.com/data/yadis" />

That should be "http-equiv="X-XRDS-Location"" per section 6.2.6. In fact,
a current bug in the code that will be fixed shortly is that it recognizes
X-YADIS-Location as well (snuck in during testing to make sure that the LJ
YADIS documents were okay).

> Also when I have it check the server bit, with the omitheader flag, it
> finds it via the header.

Augh! Good find. A moment with Ethereal and... uhh... Me and
LWP::UserAgent are going to have ... some words ... yeah, a sharing of
minds. The baseball bat? No reason at all I'm carrying that...

Yeah, apparently it's doing a parse of the HTML and giving me the
http-equiv headers as though they were HTTP headers. So that's an error in
the test app, not the server. I'll figure out a fix.

Dan