yadis Digest, Vol 13, Issue 14

Chris Drake christopher at pobox.com
Thu May 25 19:51:44 UTC 2006

Hi Drummond,

I'm just thinking out loud here relating to anonymous IDs (sorry if
I'm just re-stating the obvious):-

The relying party needs to know how to "get to" (or verify assertions
from) the identity provider (IdP).  To protect a users privacy:-

A) the relying party directs the user elsewhere to authenticate (some
   kind of trusted authentication proxy) - from the users point of
   view - they would merely click on the "inames" logo on enabled web
   sites to begin their login process - no typing anything in there.

   + really easy for users - one click.
   - trusted proxy knows everywhere the user goes.

B) the user tells the relying party who their IdP is - so the user
   enters 2idi.com in the box (not their username) and clicks the
   inames logo to commence the login stuff.

   ~ not so easy for users to understand
   - relying party at least knows the IdP - a privacy problem for
     small IdP's
   - IdP knows everywhere the user goes.

C) the relying party tells the user what *their* iSSO URL is, the user
   carries this off to their IdP, logs in, and gets directed back to
   the replying parties URL.  (implementationwise - the user need only
   do this once - if their IdP "saves" their relying-party URL, a nice
   post-signon interface could be presented, eg: "where do you want to
   go today", listing all the places the user might want to log into.

   ~ initially tricky for users to grasp
   + really easy - one click - future signins
   - IdP knows everywhere the user goes.
   - "shoulder surfers" and hackers "getting in" to users account at
     IdP knows everywhere the user goes.

D) relying party issues a one-time token (nonce?), user carries *this*
   off to their IdP, uses it to obtain a signed credential, carries
   this back to the relying party, and logs in with it.

   - extra tricky for users
   + IdP has no idea where the user's going
   - relying party probably again knows the users IdP

Users already must trust their IdP (a rouge IdP is perfectly placed to
impersonate it's users) - so - I don't think it's too much to ask that
users also trust an IdPs policy of NOT recording where the user uses
their credentials.

I hope this helps someone, somewhere - good luck!

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake