is "mailto:robyates70@gmail.com" a valid Yadis id?

Joaquin Miller joaquin at netmesh.us
Thu Feb 8 00:34:43 UTC 2007

I took Rob's question literally: Is "mailto:robyates70 at gmail.com" a
valid Yadis idenfifier?

It seems to me that this question is quite separate from the
discussion of, as examples, using an SMTP server in an OpenID
protocol or specifying a standard way to resolve a mailto: URL to an
http: URL, or specifying a way to use a mailto: URL as an Open ID
ID.  Please straighten me out if i am wrong.

As I wrote in my previous message, it seems to me that, according to
the text of the Yadis specificaiton, the answer to Rob's question is:
Yes.  (It is possible to read 6.2.1 along with 6.2.2 and conclude
that a Yadis URL must have as scheme, http or https.  I feel it is
not best to hang our hat on such readings: we should simply say what we mean.)

At present there is no project to clean up the Yadis spec on this
topic and there is no project to specify which URLs can be used as
Yadis IDs nor to specify how to resolve those which can.  (We all
assume that the XRI resolution service is the one to use with XRIs,
but this is not specified in the Yadis spec.)

Cordially,

Joaquin