Target repetition issue

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Wed Jul 2 20:00:44 UTC 2008

Problem: on my home fileserver I've got three different root trees
I want to backup - home, images, and music. So three Root's defined
in ~/.brackup.conf:

  [SOURCE:home]
  [SOURCE:images]
  [SOURCE:music]

I'm currently playing around with backing up to four different
targets: a local filesystem one, an ftp server, an sftp server,
and Amazon S3. I'm likely to keep at least 3 of these for my
production backups.

This seems to mean that I need R * T target sections defined in
.backup.conf if I want to keep the trees distinct on the targets
e.g.

  [TARGET:server1_sftp_home]
  type = Sftp
  sftp_host = server1
  sftp_user = brackup
  path = /data/brackup/sftp/fileserver/home

  [TARGET:server1_sftp_images]
  type = Sftp
  sftp_host = server1
  sftp_user = brackup
  path = /data/brackup/sftp/fileserver/images

  [TARGET:server1_sftp_music]
  type = Sftp
  sftp_host = server1
  sftp_user = brackup
  path = /data/brackup/sftp/fileserver/music

i.e. 12 target definitions in this case, with everything identical
for each target section except the path itself. Adding a new Root
requires another T target sections.

So am I missing something here? Is there a better way to do this?

If not, I was thinking one way to improve this might be to allow
per-root backup path prefixes that get added to the base path of the
target e.g.

  [SOURCE:home]
  path = /home
  backup_prefix = /fileserver/home

  [TARGET:server1_sftp]
  type = Sftp
  sftp_host = server1
  sftp_user = brackup
  path = /data/brackup/sftp

so that at backup time the target path becomes target.path +
root.brackup_prefix = /data/brackup/sftp/fileserver/home, just
as before.

Is this too complicated?

Thoughts/comments?

Cheers,