Brackup::Target::Sftp

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Sat Jul 5 12:57:16 UTC 2008

Gavin Carr wrote:

> And out of interest, why do we use colons in chunk names at all, given
> they're problematic with some filesystems? Maybe it would be better just to
> use type.checksum.brackup everywhere?

That's a historical annoyance. Initially Brackup used colons, but then I
tried to make it work on Windows and hit this issue. By that time there
were already users with backup targets using colons on UNIX systems, so
if I changed the default I'd break them. Hence this ridiculous flag.
(which, in retrospect, should have been called use_filename_colons and
defaulted to true, I agree. Oh well.)

However, new targets aren't stuck with this legacy, so they can use some
other symbol as the default.