Restore hangs

William Wolf throughnothing at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 23:52:10 UTC 2009

I believe this is a known bug.

When you do the brackup-target get file, it does not decrypt the
metafile.  You will need to decrypt the file yourself using gpg -d
file > decryptedfile.txt.

There have also been patches posted to this mailing list to fix, and I
also have my own if you would be interested, that makes brackup
decrypt metafiles when it downloads them.  These have not made it into
the SVN yet as you can tell.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've gathered by
looking over the brackup code and this mailing list.

On Apr 3, 2009, at 7:45 PM, Ross Patterson wrote:

> Ross Patterson <me at rpatterson.net> writes:
>
>> Having successfully backed up to amazon and restored a single file
>> from
>> the same machine I did the backup from, I tried getting a backup from
>> the target and doing the same exact restore using the downloaded
>> *.brackup file instead of the one created locally during backup.  I
>> seemed to start just fine but hangs with no load or network
>> activitiy:
>>
>> $ brackup-target amazon get_backup etc-1238764547
>> $ brackup-restore --from=/tmp/etc-1238764547.brackup --to=/tmp/ --
>> just=subversion/config
>>
>> You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
>> user: "..."
>> 2048-bit ELG-E key, ID ..., created ... (main key ID ...)
>>
>> Decrypted metafile /tmp/etc-1238764547.brackup to /tmp/Azo7FUabJs/
>> UGJi42kiAd; using that to restore from...
>
> More info.  When I copy the decrypted tmp file version of the metafile
> and then do the restore, it works just fine.  So it appears that the
> hang happens between decrypting the metafile and starting the
> restoration.
>
> I'll file a bug just as soon as I know which tracker to use, the CPAN
> one of the google code one?
>
> Ross
>
>> Any suggestions?  Might this be related to the datetime issues I
>> describe in my previous post?
>>
>> Below are my system and configuration details.
>>
>> Ross
>>
>> Ross Patterson <me at rpatterson.net> writes:
>>
>>> I'm running brackup installed using the Makefile.PL generated
>>> makefile
>>> from SVN trunk on Ubuntu Intrepid.  I'm running trunk because
>>> there's a
>>> gc test failure on 1.06.  Here's my ~/.brackup.conf:
>>>
>>> [SOURCE:home]
>>> path = /home/xen/
>>> gpg_recipient = ...
>>> noatime = 1