Feature proposal: backup classes

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Mon Apr 13 01:57:19 UTC 2009

> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 12:47:27AM -0700, Martin Atkins wrote:
> > (If you *are* talking about different media, then presumably this problem
> > can be solved with different backup sources and targets. Your example at
> > the end of having backups with "daily" and "monthly" in their names seems
> > functionally equivalent to having three sources called "home", "home-daily"
> > and "home-monthly" and pruning the backup files based on name, periodically
> > running a gc to remove orphaned chunks.)

This almost works.

You can create duplicate sources that just have different names e.g. 'home',
'home-weekly', 'home-monthly', and backup using those. You do end up with lots
of config duplication though. Be nice if there was a way to reference other
sources or include fragments or something.

There doesn't seem to be a way to prune "based on name" atm though. Prune just
collates all backups on a target by name (source) and then applies the one
'keep_backups' setting to all the names on that target. Seems like you should be
able to restrict the prune by source, which would allow you to apply different
keep_backups limits to different sources, which is what we need here.

Sound reasonable?

Cheers,
Gavin