Flash XMLSocket

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 18:57:04 UTC 2006

oliver oli wrote:
> Martin Atkins wrote:
>>> What's the quick summary of this protocol, for those of us that don't
>>> know
>>> Flash?  Any pointers?
>>>

>> According to the page at this huge URL:
>> <http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/action_scripts/actionscript_dictionary/actionscript_dictionary860.html>
>>

>> it's a TCP connection where you send whole XML documents delimited by
>> nuls.
>
> XMLSocket is not limited to XML documents. You can send any data over
> it. Every XMLSocket.send appends a NUL byte to the data. I don't know if
> NUL bytes in XML streams are any problem for DJabberd (or other Jabber
> servers).

NUL bytes are forbidden in XML, so I expect that it causes problems for
most XMPP servers.

> A Flash-Jabber proxy would be nice to have, but I don't know any. Would
> DJabberd with a Flash connection plugin make a XMPP proxy for other
> Jabber servers or is this a silly idea?

You could probably build such a proxy on top of DJabberd, but I think a
true proxy (that is, a server which just translates the encoding and not
the content) would end up skipping almost everything DJabberd does; I
guess the streaming XML parser would be useful, but other than that I
can't think what else you'd borrow.

Writing a new DJabberd connection handler which talks directly to
DJabberd's core probably wouldn't be that hard though, if you don't mind
only being able to talk to DJabberd.