How tested is djabberd?

Karjala karjala_lists at karjala.org
Wed Jul 5 07:38:38 UTC 2006

Martin Atkins wrote:
> What I would expect to happem is either:
>  * The TCP driver retransmits the packet a few times and then
> considers the client to be dead and closes the connection, or...
>  * The dial-up user's IP address has now been assigned to a different
> customer, so it'll send a RST packet back to indicate that it doesn't
> know anything about this TCP stream.
>
> From what others have been saying, though, it seems that I'm wrong
> about the first point in practice.

Yes, from what I remember when I was playing with Sockets in Perl, there
was no way to know if the other end has disconnected abruptly, even when
you send him data. The only way to know would be if you expected some
kind of reply from him immediately. But I'm not sure about this, because
it's been years since then.