error of dialback with im.apinc.org, standard compliance problem ?

Michael Scherer misc at mandriva.org
Thu Sep 20 14:25:58 UTC 2007

Hi,

it seems the dialback code is quite buggy as i cannot connect to people on
im.apinc.org

Here is the trace ( edited to be more readable ):

Me :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<stream:stream to='im.apinc.org'
xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'
xmlns='jabber:server'
xml:lang='en'
xmlns:db='jabber:server:dialback'
version='1.0'>

Apinc :
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<stream:stream xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'
id='db1a6b6ff7193a90ec62d4d3e21313a8bba291c6'
from='im.apinc.org'
version='1.0'
xmlns='jabber:server'
xmlns:db='jabber:server:dialback'>
  <stream:features xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'>
     <starttls xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-tls'/>
  </stream:features>

Me :
<stream:features></stream:features>

Apinc :
<stream:error>
   <improper-addressing xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams'/>
   <text xml:lang='en' xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams'>
     Invalid Packets Recieved!
   </text>
</stream:error>

Me :
<db:result to='im.apinc.org'
from='ephaone.org'>i-87bbc9ad5749f6fbc27a4f00e2c7ec3286ec3632</db:result>

After reading rfc 3920, I suspect the problem comes from a missing attribute in
the stream:features stanza sent by djabberd.

"In the 'jabber:server' namespace, a stanza MUST possess a 'from'
attribute; if a server receives a stanza that does not meet this
restriction, it MUST generate an <improper-addressing/> stream error
condition."

Adding to, from, version and xmlns solved the problem ( in fact, it showed a
different problem related to a dns migration ).

Is the patch enclosed ok or is the server on im.apinc.org is having problem ?

It seems ejabberd do not have the same behavior as I can access to some other
server without trouble.
According to a admin of apinc.org, they are running jabberd14 1.6.1.1

As I am waiting on dns propagation, I couldn't check with other servers except
google's one, which seems to be ok.

--
Michael Scherer