Any progress on gmail.com dialback issue?

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Fri Mar 27 05:49:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 16:13 +1100, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> That's working fine at FastMail by the way:

As another data point, it's also what we've been running on Hiveminder
since January.  But I think this discussion stemmed mostly from _why_
it's the correct change, since Brad expressed skepticism when "it seems
to work" was proposed as the rationale last time.

Tangentially, I just noticed the following in XEP-0220:
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0220.html#o2r-sendinitial

        Until the initial stream has been validated, the Originating
        Server MUST NOT send any further XML data to the Receiving
        Server over that stream.

Which at first seems relevent, until you realize that it's slightly on
crack; the originating server also MUST send <db:result/> (which is,
euh, "further XML data") to the receiving server over that connection,
before the stream has been validated.  I think the _intended_ meaning
implies that you shouldn't send things like <features/>, but...

        Note: If the Receiving Server receives any XML stanzas from the
        Originating Server before the initial stream has been validated,
        the Receiving Server MUST silently drop those stanzas.

This has the same chicken-and-egg problem, but also implies that gtalk
is wrong to not silently drop the bogus <features/> that djabberd is
sending.
 - Alex