memcached on MacOS X

Brion Vibber vibber@aludra.usc.edu
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:46:29 -0700 (PDT)

For an unrelated project I'm considering using memcached on a MacOS X box
to spare me from the slowness that is FileMaker Pro.

With a just-checked-out CVS I can configure and compile, but it fails to
link if set to produce a static executable, which is the default:

gcc -DNDEBUG -g -O2 -static   -o memcached  memcached.o slabs.o items.o
assoc.o  -levent
ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt0.o
make[1]: *** [memcached] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm running OS X 10.2.6; I've got Fink installed, but it shouldn't
interfere with anything.

If I pass --disable-static to configure, memcached compiles, links, and
runs. I haven't tested it in detail yet, but unlike FreeBSD the daemon
mode does work.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)