C API?

Evan Martin martine@danga.com
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:27:47 -0700

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 18:18, Anatoly Vorobey wrote:
> > I was just talking to Whitaker about this.  Maybe I'll do it tonight...
>
> One thing worth remembering, if you do, is that multi-get should be
> tighter than it is in existing APIs, if you're going to the trouble
> of writing it in C: after splitting the gets and sending them to various
> servers, it's probably best not to read replies server-after-server,
> like perl/PHP APIs do, but use select/poll/whatever to read them
> simultaneously, so as not to let a slower server become a bottleneck.

I was worrying about this, too... are there cases where you'd want to be
able to integrate the memcache client reads into a centralized event
loop?  In that case, we need to somehow (either by returning file
descriptors or requiring a register_fd callback argument) let the user
do the select().  Same for put().  Yikes.

And then, should we really use select?  Or is this another job for
libevent?  :\

--
Evan Martin
martine@danga.com