poll vs epoll performance

Richard Jones rj@last.fm
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:43:28 +0000

Hi all,
we're running memcached on a couple of xeon boxes, using poll on both, epoll
isnt installed

i noticed one php page making around 400 induvidual GET requests to memcached,
total memcached time take was 0.5 seconds. all requests were cache hits.

how many memcached requests might a typical LJ/slashdot/any webpage make, and
how long does it take to process them all? I'm interested in ways to reduce
that 0.5 seconds

each request was fetching a fairly small php object. (100mbit lan) i'd like to
know if this is par for the course, or would the time taken decrease a lot if
we were using epoll?

what about using get_multi so all keys are passed in an array, this shouldnt
make any speed difference, because the socket connection is already open so
it is not cutting down on any connection overhead..right?

Thanks,
Richard.