some questions that weren't FAQs

Evan Martin martine@danga.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:28:05 -0800

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 03:15:57PM -0500, Larry Leszczynski wrote:
> 1) It looks like the client initializes with a list of servers it knows
> about, how do those servers communicate with each other (assuming they do)
> so they stay consistent with each other?

Servers are independent.  A given key is stored on only one server, and
which server a key lives on is decided by the client-side memcache
library code.

> 3) I can see why you'd run memcache daemons on multiple machines, but what
> would be the motivation for running more than one daemon on a single
> machine?

On x86 (for example), processes have a memory limit somewhere under 4gb.
If you have a machine with more RAM than that, multiple memcache
processes let you use all of your RAM.

--
Evan Martin
martine@danga.com