libevent and epoll

Perrin Harkins perrin@elem.com
11 Sep 2003 16:42:55 -0400

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 16:25, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> You don't need 2.6 for epoll; there's a 2.4 backport of it that works
> beautifully.  It's just a small kernel patch away.

Now I have to decide if it's simpler to try a 2.6test4 RPM or rebuild
the 2.4 kernel.  Hmmm...

> Building libevent with epoll support is trickier than rebuilding the
> kernel... you have to mess with some headers in /usr/include/, but it's
> fine.

I was able to build a source RPM from DAG on my 2.4 system:
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/libevent/

I was also able to build memcached against that, but it complained at
startup about epoll functions not being implemented.  I think that
complaint comes from glibc.  I stopped there, so I'm not sure if it was
falling back to select or just not functional.

> I've been meaning to put up the latest binary

Hmmm, I didn't even know there were binaries.  Maybe you could add a
link on the downloads page?

FYI, I'm installing this so I can add it to a set of benchmarks I'm
doing on various Perl modules that provide caching.  So far, the fastest
are BerkeleyDB and IPC::MM (uses the mm shared memory library).  Both of
these are about three times as fast as MySQL.

Thanks,
Perrin