Transparent failover and restore?

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Sat Dec 18 11:25:17 PST 2004

John, Larry, etc:

> I think this is something that does not belong in memcached itself, as
> it isn't really a feature of the cache, but belongs client side so those
> who wish to distribute items redunandtly into seperate server side may
> do so.  This is relatively trivial to implement, imagine the following:
>
> Client performs hash to determine server to put key in (just like it
> does now), client puts key/value pair into cache.  Client then performs
> some kind of second hash that gurantees a different server is selected
> and puts key/value pair into another servers cache.

I can see that this would be relatively easy to implement on the client side;
I can also see room for a server-side daemon that manages it.  Doing it on
the client side, while relatively easy to hack, has the disadvantage of
making the server lists maintainence problem even worse.

I really think there's room for a server-side process that manages the hash
key distribution of items.    One client of mine already shot down the use of
memcached for a project because we don't have this.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions