Large memory support

Anatoly Vorobey mellon@pobox.com
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:21:49 +0200

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:52:06PM -0800, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> So unsigned int is really just 32-bits on 64 bit archs?  Can anybody point
> me at a reference to what types map to on different archs?

This seems to be a good doc:
http://www.unix-systems.org/version2/whatsnew/lp64_wp.html

It appears that Linux on 64bit archs is always LP64 and not ILP64.
This suggests that it should be enough to change unsigned int to
unsigned long (*not* unsigned long long as Jason did!) in maxbytes and
perhaps other limits-related variables in memcache. This wouldn't change
anything on 32-bit systems and will give 64-bit limits on 64-bit
systems. Warning: I didn't test anything, I'm just theoretizing from my
armchair. It's a comfy armchair.

--
avva