mecached - text protocol?

Brad Fitzpatrick brad@danga.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:13:09 -0700 (PDT)

Avva,

While I mostly agree with you, I think a binary protocol would still be
nice to have in addition.  I started working on it this morning and have
it kinda working.

In particular, I want to change:

   -- no get_multi support on the server side in the binary protocol.
      the client should just pipeline multiple gets at once and match up
      the responses.

   -- binary responses in response to binary requests.  less CPU used
      on the client.  (the top CPU eater on LiveJournal)

What I did was:

int try_read_command(conn *c) {
    char *el, *cont;

    if (!c->rbytes)
        return 0;

    /* binary protocol */
    if (c->rbuf[0] == (char) 0) {           <<<<<<<<<<< new logic
        unsigned int packet_len;
        int i;

        /* has the length header? */
        if (c->rbytes <= 4)
            return 0;

        packet_len = ntohl(* (uint32_t*) c->rbuf) + 4;
        if (c->rbytes < packet_len)
            return 0;

So if a request starts with a zero, it's a binary command, and the
first 4 bytes are the length.

I wrote up this so far:

Alternatively, a binary protocol is available.

You can intermix binary protocol requests and text protocol requests
on the same connection.  Some protocol requests (the infrequently used
ones) have only text representations.

The binary protocol header is:

  4 byte big endian length of command request, not including
    this length.

  2 byte big endian command number

    1: get
    2: add
    3: set
    4: replace
    5: incr
    6: decr
    7: delete

What follows is based on the command:

     get <key>
     incr <key> <delta>
     decr <key> <delta>
     delete <key> <exptime>

Where the parameters are:

      <key>:  1 byte: length of following key, without NULL byte (1-250, inclusive)
              the key
              \0 byte

      <value>: 4 byte big endian lenth of value
               data bytes, no null termination

      <delta>: 4 byte big endian delta value

      <exptime>: 4 byte time (or zero)  see protocol.txt for description

----

Just tinkering.  I was going to benchmark and get approval on the
protocol before I committed.  Not incredibly serious with any of this
yet.  My sole interest is in making the responses faster to parse (and
fixing the whitespace in keys issue).

- Brad