epoll and performance

Joachim Bauernberger joachim.bauernberger@friendscout24.de
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:31:42 +0100

Hi,

in the past i have seen several posts here that recommend an upgrade to epoll
as a cure all performace issues.

Looking at the statistic on the dev epoll homepage after having a similar
discussion with a friend I am now not so sure anymore whether epoll will be
worth the hazzle for my setup.

I have 2 clients which implement Cache::Memcached as a fastcgi in apache.
Those can be queried to talk to the memcache-servers running on the same
hosts.

Since my (2) fastcgi clients use persistent tcp connections to talk to
memchached I wonder whether the whole epoll stuff is really make a difference
for me.

The way I understood epoll, is  it only boosts your performance if you have
lots of connections that are established (and broken down again).

Maybe I understood epoll wrong?
Please let me know if this is the case.

Thx & best regards,
~/joachim