memcached best practices

Jason Edgecombe jedgecombe at carolina.rr.com
Sun Apr 24 16:03:56 PDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for some more documentation on the best practices for
using memcached. I checked google and sarafibooks online. Are there any
good documents on best practice?

My specific situation is this:
I'm trying to tweak the b2evolution weblog software
(http://www.b2evolution.net) to use memcached. There are already several
associative arrays that are used to cache DB queries during a single
http request. I currently, load the cache arrays from memcached at the
start of the request and save the variable at the end. I suspect that
this doesn't make for good cache consistency. I would love any critique
as this is my first real exposure to memcached. I am using the phpca php
memcached client. In addition to wanting to add memcache support, I also
want the software to function correctly without it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jason Edgecombe