stats cachedump

Anatoly Vorobey mellon at pobox.com
Wed Jun 1 09:56:49 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 12:20:33PM -0400, Adrian Ziemkowski wrote:
> Is there any reason why the item expiration time wouldn't be
> displayed in the cachedump?

There is no profound reason, it was just omitted in favour of
other fields when cachedump was written as a quick debugging tool.

Note that stats cachedump is not recommended for use without a sane
limit on number of items to display. If you don't give a limit, it
will not necessarily display all the items anyhow, but will limit
itself to an output buffer of 2Mb. You can't reliably use
stats cachedump to print out information about *all* the items
memcached's holding.

> I'd like to have our monitoring software check how much of memcache's
> allocated space is actually in use.

That's one of the parameters you get in 'stats', isn't it? 'STAT bytes'
is the total number of bytes used by currently stored items.

--
avva
"There's nothing simply good, nor ill alone" -- John Donne