Namespaces

xing at fantasyball.net xing at fantasyball.net
Thu Jun 23 14:14:59 PDT 2005

Just my opinion but I think you are over estimating the need for your to
cache your tables in memcached.

2,000,000 is a lot of entries but from the way you describe your data,
the keys are simple and each row doesn't have much info. If that's the
case, 2 million rows of data that doesn't get written often would be
easily cached twice, by the database buffer and system os buffer. How
large in terms of mbs are the table themslves? I estimate it should be
relatively small and easily fit into cache buffers.

How many writes per second are the tables sustaining?

I would actually recommend you to rethink the sql schema mapping to
remove the need for you to look at 100 tables individually to find out
if they are in it which makes it slow and thus makiing you think
memcached is the right tool.

1) Merge the tables, add a version field. PK becomes zip + version. This
is the fastest and cleanest method.

or

2) Reverse map. Introduce a zip_to_table table. With a one to many
relationship or store the multi relationship as a string list in one
field. Again, if the zip tables is not added/written often, and when I
mean often, I mean many times per second, then this is extremely fast
and you only have to do change the maping one, during insert/writes.