Mixed Language Environments

Greg Whalin gwhalin at meetup.com
Fri Nov 25 09:19:27 PST 2005

For complex types, the java client will use natice java serialization as
long as the object implement the Serializabe or Externalizable
interface.  For primitives, the java client will store by encoding the
object using code submitted by Kevin Burton.  This encoding saves
considerable space (in Kevin's application, by using this encoding, he
claims his cache utilization dropped from 1GB down to 144 MB).  This
encoding is enabled by default, but, as you have noticed is not so hot
in a multi-lang environment.  The default hashing for java is also not
suitable for a mixed language setup.  All of this is documented in the
java client javadocs, however, it is relatively simple to configure the
java client for a mixed lang env.

String[] serverlist =
	Global.getInstance().getProperty( "memcached.servers" ).split( "," );
SockIOPool pool = SockIOPool.getInstance();
pool.setServers( serverList );
pool.setInitConn( 10 );
pool.setMinConn( 5 );
pool.setMaxConn( 250 );
pool.setNagle( false );

// for compat
pool.setHashingAlg( SockIOPool.NEW_COMPAT_HASH )l

pool.initialize();

static MemCachedClient mcc = new MemCachedClient();

// for compat
mcc.setPrimitiveAsString( true );

That should do it.

Greg