Possible use for memcache?

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Mon Nov 28 00:08:45 PST 2005

On Nov 27, 2005, at 23:19 , mike wrote:

> "fence" (basically "allow this server to access this" - not "DENY this
> server" like it seems typical I/O fencing does) just by only allowing
> one physical client to access the file will remove the problem of data
> corruption due to a non-GFS filesystem mounting the same physical
> hardware device.

Huh?

If I'm reading what you are writing right, then you need to read up a
bit on how the file systems work.  :-)

If you have two servers file system drivers use the same physical
storage then you need block level[1] locking (not "file level" locking).

You should subscribe to another list that's more relevant[2] and then
take a few steps back and figure out what you need and then get help
to find the best solution.  You are asking "How can I get X to do Y"
when you really want to ask "How do I do Z".

  - ask

[1] to simplify it a bit.
[2] the scalable list maybe, scalable-subscribe at arctic.org.

--