Cache::Memcached::Lock

Cahill, Earl ecahill at corp.untd.com
Tue Sep 27 13:21:26 PDT 2005

Sure, but hopefully, it being able to handle timeouts and the like
properly would ease some of those concerns.  The two or three days I
have been using mine have treated me well :)

I think some of the concern comes from Cache being in the name of
Cache::Memcache.  I guess my question is, when can you trust Memcached?
Like, can I trust the ttl?  Is add really atomic?  If I set x=y, do I
get x=y back?  If yes to those three things, then Memcached seems a good
candidate for my project.  If not?  Well, then maybe I shouldn't be
using Memcached for my other projects.  I don't really want data to
randomly change or disappear.  But in my experience, it doesn't.

I really like that Memcached is simply a fast, potentially big,
distributed hash.  If I can build something that I find useful around
it, something that maybe stretches it a little, all the better.  If I
find the stretching to be a touch painful, then I can report my findings
and try to contribute back to Memcached, or if worse comes to worse,
just use something else.

Some concerns seem a touch FUD-ish.

Earl