Multiple caches in memcached?

Abhishek Pokharna pokharnaabhishek at yahoo.co.in
Wed Aug 2 09:05:04 UTC 2006

Thats what i dont want to do. There are situations where I dont know the keys and I need to performe some "global" operation on each type of cache,like iterating all users or groups and do something with each entity.
  Could I possibly start another daemon thread on a separate port which will imitate another type of cache? But would this be expensive on resources?
  Thanks
  Abhishek
Steven Grimm <sgrimm at facebook.com> wrote:
  There is no built-in support for separate namespaces, but we solve the problem I think you're describing by just putting a short prefix at the start of each key to indicate its type. If you really only have two data types your prefix can be as small as a single character! That approach works like a charm for us.

-Steve

Abhishek Pokharna wrote:     Guys
     I wanted to know if there is any way I could have multiple caches existing on a single memcached daemon? I.e I have multiple caches like Users(key is a username),Groups(key is a groupid) etc.I do not want to mix both of these caches into one cache that stores both types of keys.

  Thanks,
  -Abhishek