Is this insane?

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 00:49:32 UTC 2006

On 12/3/06, Fi Dot <fi.dot.slc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mmm.. maybe im missing the point here, but wouldn't it be better to do
> all the lookups, construct one big query for all the data that's
> missing, and get it all at once? Then you will have 1 DB query at
> most.

That is part of the problem, some of the queries are too expensive.
Part of what I am doing is partitioning the data, looking at doing
periodic batch jobs to pre-cache/build more optimized tables (like a
view) and adding in a layer of caching between the db to save trips...

I'm just trying to get a feel for what people think about having that
many gets on a page load, especially in a PHP environment (and what
PHP interface is being used would help - PECL, john's mcache, etc...)
- and what kind of multiget to use (limitations?)

Thanks