memory fragmentation issues in 1.2?

Steven Grimm sgrimm at facebook.com
Wed Dec 6 22:31:23 UTC 2006

It's possible, but IMO unlikely, that this is memory fragmentation. What
do your requests look like? How many client connections are open at a
time? Each client connection has some buffer space for incoming
requests, and if you have a lot of clients that can add up to a fair bit
of memory, especially if your application does very large multi-key
"get" requests. Based on our experience that's what I'd say you're most
likely running into; we see our memcached instances exceed their
configured memory limits but it always stabilizes once they've reached a
certain size.

That said, please try 1.2.1 and see if you see the same problem.

-Steve