memory fragmentation issues in 1.2?

Paul T pault12345 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 02:25:54 UTC 2006

Well, I re-read the thread and it is now clear that
you are making several contradicting claims, hence I
had to make some (wrong) assumptions. Now there is
more or less enough information provided and some
conclusions can be made.

You are saying that your copy of memcached is leaking
memory to the point of going from 800Mb to 2Gb+ per
memcached process. That is certainly wrong and should
not be happening. It could be that you are the only
person on a planet observing this behaviour. ( OOM has
nothing to do with it - it was bad idea to mention it
in the first place, it distracted us)

You then made an assumption that it has something to
do with "memory fragmentation".

Perhaps you dont know (really? you don't know?), but
memcached is *not* using system malloc, but instead it
is using a custom memory allocation -- memory pooling
subsystem that is being sold as a subsystem to
*prevent* the "memory fragmentation".

If you read the memcached presentations (or look into
memcached source code) you would realise that
memcached is the least likely software in the world to
cause "memory fragmentation" because by design
memcached does *not* allocate any memory with malloc.

It tries *so* hard that it is a all over the place.

Are you saying that in result of all this dance they
actually *do* cause the actual memory fragmentation?

That would be *hillarious*.

Is it what you're saying? If the process consumes 2Gb
instead of 800Mb - there are clearly memory leaks.

Now we can keep speculating if there is bug in
memcached, or perhaps you've built it poorly e t.c.
but the thing is simple :

If Memcached is leaking memory "memory fragmentaion"
is the *least* probable cause.

So what is the problem? Memcached is leaking RAM and
you can not capture the leak, because valgrind is no
help? (In the absense of bugs in slabs subsystem of
course valgrind would no help because memcached's
malloc is custom - see the article that I posted
earlier).

In any case - I am sorry I did not solved your
problem.

Certainly,  you have all the experience to detect the
leak by yourself.

Rgds.Paul.