memory fragmentation issues in 1.2?

Paul T pault12345 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 19:11:17 UTC 2006

Everything I reffer to in my email is in archives of
memcached mailing list.

If you want to see how to implement keepalive HTTP
protocol without state machine you can look at univca
source code - you were able to grasp memcached code -
reading univca code would be clearly no problem.

I see no problems in memory leaks, people make bugs
all the time -- it is no big deal.

http://cvs.danga.com/browse.cgi/wcmtools/memcached/doc/protocol.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain

<quote>
There are two kinds of data sent in the memcache
protocol: text lines
and unstructured data.  Text lines are used for
commands from clients
and responses from servers. Unstructured data is sent
when a client
wants to store or retrieve data. The server will
transmit back
unstructured data in exactly the same way it received
it, as a byte
stream. The server doesn't care about byte order
issues in
unstructured data and isn't aware of them. There are
no limitations on
characters that may appear in unstructured data;
however, the reader
of such data (either a client or a server) will always
know, from a
preceding text line, the exact length of the data
block being
transmitted.

Text lines are always terminated by \r\n. Unstructured
data is _also_
terminated by \r\n, even though \r, \n or any other
8-bit characters
may also appear inside the data. Therefore, when a
client retrieves
data from a server, it must use the length of the data
block (which it
will be provided with) to determine where the data
block ends, and not
the fact that \r\n follows the end of the data block,
even though it
does.
</quote>

If this is *not* semi-binary protocol then I don't
know  how else to call it.

The bugreport about big/little endian is in the
archives.

Last time I checked, USE_SYSTEM_MALLOC was not
delivering what it promised - but that was in
memcached 1.* code.

I suggest you ignore everything I said and let's
forget this thread, because seriosly - I have not a
day left before xmas to spend on this mailing list.

The guy had memory leak and was talking about "memory
fragmentation". I said "look elswhere", now this is a
flamewar. Geez.

Sorry it turned into *this*.

Happy hollidays, gentleman.

Rgds.Paul.