namespace bids

Brian Moon brianm at dealnews.com
Wed Feb 1 22:12:41 UTC 2006

Let me preface this by saying that I have not opened up the code to look
at how this might be done.  Likely, Brad and co. have already run
through these ideas in their head.

We (dealnews) have pondered adding wild card deletes to memcached.  The
servers would have to walk the cache for any matching keys though.  That
could be bad.

So, I was pondering namespaces with my spare cycles the other day.  This
would mean the servers would have to keep a list of keys per namespace.
  It could then simply delete those namespaces.  I guess it could also
keep some sort of flush time for the namespace.  It could simply set
this when the delete came in and then any requests for that namespace
would return nothing the cache was older than the namespace flush time.
  Adds would need to be aware of this too so they would not fail.

Either solution would require that the clients send the deletes to every
server.  That means more than memcached will have to be changed to
accommodate this.  It also means that memcached would need to
accommodate clients that are not namespace aware.

We have worked around this in our application.  Any cache we create that
is not quantifiable (like unnamed sql query cache) is logged to a mysql
table using insert delayed.  We store various information about it that
could be considered a namespace.  We then query this table and delete
any keys found in there.  We then delete any rows from the table older
than when we queried that match our criteria.  It leaves a small window
of error, but so far, its not a problem.

For other data, we simply delete all keys we can create such as article
cache.  We just loop through all known article ids.  Its quite fast.
Have you tried looping through all your "fred" data and removing it?
You might be surprised.

Brian Moon
dealnews.com
How to go broke saving money.