server encoding

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Tue Feb 28 23:13:08 UTC 2006

The commands ("set") can be assumed to be ASCII, but the keys for the data
can be almost whatever.  Few restrictions, but basically a char[].

This is my biggest beef with C# and Java:  always wanting you to work in
Strings with encodings.  Usually it helps but when it doesn't, major
hassle.

- Brad

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Kevin Williams wrote:

> OK, that makes sense for storing the data. What about parsing the
commands? The protocol spec doesn't seem to specify any specific
encoding to use. I've browsed through some client implementations -
the Java and C# stuff use UTF8, the Ruby and Perl don't seem to
specify. I guess I'll use UTF8 for everything but the actual data,
keeping that as a byte[].

--
Cheers,

Kevin

"Picking fights with people smarter than you
is great - you always end up learning something."
- jcooney.net