Deletes Are Driving Me Crazy

Matthew Glubb matt at zgroupplc.com
Wed Jan 11 11:23:59 UTC 2006

Happy New Year to you all.

I am sorry if this has been covered before but I have trawled through
the list archives and cannot find a definitive solution.

I would really like to know how to:

add(key, val)
delete(key)
add(key, val)

Just seems to plain not work (all adds have zero expiration).

If I:

add(key, val)
delete(key, 1)
sleep(2)
add(key, val)

It works.

Please can someone enlighten me as to how I may immediately delete a
key and then add a key of the same name? I am using memcached-1.1.12
& John McCaskey's mcache extension 1.2.0 beta10.

I noticed in the archives this thread:

<http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/memcached/2004-July/000688.html>

This seems to be related to the problem that I am having but my
version of memcached is almost a year later than this so I would
assume that the patch referred to in the thread is included. I'm
going to check that this isn't a problem with John's mcache extension
but if anyone has a simple answer to my problem I'd love to hear it.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Matt