Is memcached really faster than MySQL on very simple query?

Ivan Krstic krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 13 11:12:42 UTC 2006

Please use Reply-to-All so your replies get copied to the list.

howard chen wrote:
> i also have thought that, but *SHOW STATUS return *"Qcache_hits = 0",
> seems query cache was not enabled by mysql default installation? ( on
> FC5, yum install mysql-server, nothing changed)
>
> i suspect it is related to epoll? but how to verify this?

The query cache has nothing to do with epoll.

It wouldn't be terribly surprising to see mysql outperform memcached on
a query this simple, but that doesn't reduce memcached's usefulness in
the slightest. I'd also check to make sure you had persistent
connections enabled in your perl script (I don't use the perl client, so
I'm not sure what the defaults are like).

--
Ivan Krstic <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D