Is memcached really faster than MySQL on very simple query?

Paul T pault12345 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 19:29:15 UTC 2006

Hey, using SWIG one should be able to produce an XS
memcahed binding for Perl sufficient for benchmarking
- in a day I guess.

I suspect that it had not been done because nobody
really cares about that case.

Rgds.Paul.

PS. Your question is legitimate, but it is only one
legitimate question addressing a (large) set of
combinations.

For example, centralized memcached (facebook) vs
distributed (original danga). Scripting client vs C
client. Simple SQL queries vs slow SQL queries e t.c.

The pipeline has so many moving parts that it would
take more than just one question to address entire
range of possible combinations.

PPS. I am not arguing that boosting some part of the
pipeline ignoring the rest of the pipeline is OK and
makes sense.

However, usually, boosting the architecture as a whole
gives (much) better results.