Listing all keys on a server: why?

Brian Moon brianm at dealnews.com
Thu Jul 27 17:04:57 UTC 2006

Jamie McCarthy wrote:
> ...the list you would get would be obsolete as soon as you got it.  So
> my guess would be that, if you think you need that list, you may be
> wanting to do something with memcached that you can't really do.  But my
> guesses are frequently wrong and if there's something I'm forgetting
> please email me and let me know.  Thanks.

I see no reason to take this off list.  Lets hash it out here.

At the BoF last night, I talked with some guys that need/want that.
They had valid reasons.  Not sure if they are on the list or not, but
they had some valid arguments for their business.  Now, you could say
that they are using memcached for something it was not made for, but the
problem is that there is not anything better to use in its place.

Brian Aiken spoke last night at the BoF about NDB (the backend to mysql
cluster) and using it directly, skipping the mysql part.  That could be
a good solution for some people that need more control and redundancy.
However, there is no PHP/Perl/Python, etc. interface for it at this time.

--

Brian Moon