Why not let the fs handle this ??

Brian Moon brianm at dealnews.com
Tue Jun 6 14:18:35 UTC 2006

Constantin B wrote:
> The purpose of this email is to ask what are the future limitations of
> my setup ? I mean for the moment it do the
> job , but where is the gotcha ?

We are slowly migrating from a disk based cache to memcache.  We were
already using NFS for our cache storage, so multiple copies was not a
problem.  We saw issues with multiple apache processes trying to write
the same file at the same time.  We would sometimes end up with a half
written chunk in the file making the cache obsolete.

Basically, offloading that work into memory and spread across lots of
machines made our caches much more reliable.  Faster?  I dunno.  It
depends on the exact parameters.  The FS can be very fast.

Oh, another issue was what to do with a cache directory with 500,000
files in it.  Even if its well structured, it can be a nightmare to manage.

--

Brian Moon