Strange memcached behavior on stress test

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Jun 11 19:01:34 UTC 2006

dormando wrote:

>> So what is going on? Is this the cache fragmentation problem? Is there
>> a fix for this problem? Other thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>   -Steve
>
> Can you give more details on your setup? What platform/OS? 32-bit or
> 64-bit?

Debian 32bit Sarge with a HUGEMEM kernel patch and 6 GB of memory and 1
GB configured for memcached. I grew to about 1.5 GB then started
throwing the errors.

> What were the *exact* errors you were getting on sets? Were the same
> happening on gets?

The stress test script generated a random sized data packet (1-20KB in
size) then does a set and an immediate get and compares the set and and
got value, it counts it as an error if they do not match. this was done
via a perl script. Sorry, I don't have more specific data, I would have
to rerun the tests if I can get the server.

> My apologies if you've mentioned this already, but I took a quick glance
> back and didn't see it.

The Message Subject "Stress Test Script" on 6/9/2005 is the script we
used for testing.

-Steve