first time user with out of memory question

Ivan Krstic krstic at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 12 19:26:15 UTC 2006

Paul T wrote:
>  Unfortunately, as per google, such a thing exists
> only in your head :

Are you intentionally trolling? Memcached uses the notion of least
recently used items to determine what to eject from the cache when it
doesn't have free space for a new item. Calling this LRU + some synonym
of ejection (such as eviction, commonly used in this context) will
describe it perfectly to anyone with relevant background; both of the
terms you offered are incorrect.

>  For example, because one can not apply automated
> tools, such as valgrind, to debug such an application.

Memcached has a pretty great track record when it comes to bugs. The
significant speed decrease and complexity increase that would result
from threading is absolutely not worth the help that automated debugging
tools would give you on such a small codebase. Memcached is about as
ideal an use for async networking as you can come up with. Anyway, I
don't see the point in continuing this discussion, so I'll stop here.

--
Ivan Krstic <krstic at fas.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D