first time user with out of memory question

timeless time at digg.com
Thu Jun 15 07:30:06 UTC 2006

Paul T wrote:

> I bet that you would never get 40K hps on TCP....800 hps is nothing - on such a load every layer
>breeds freely. It is the bottlenecks that kill the performance. That stuff is totally non-linear.

I believe this. Good to know this is expected behaviour.

> There are many things one can do to udnerstand the
>limits of their memcached instance, but they all begin
>with the stress test.

I'll soon do a real-world stress test of our memcached nodes. I have not
yet installed the Facebook-patched Memcached, so I expect our tests will
yield significantly less than 19k get requests/sec before getting into
the realm of discomfort. If I find anything surprising or interesting,
I'll post here.

--
timeless