Memcached as a Sessions Store (etc)

timeless time at digg.com
Wed Jun 28 21:37:13 UTC 2006

Brian Moon wrote:

>> ...MySQL was plenty capable of keeping up with the inserts and
>> selects done to deal with sessions. Our problem was actually with
>> clearing out old sessions....
>
> Ah, switching our session table to InnoDB solved this problem for us.

We used InnoDB for sessions. It wasn't table- or row-level locking. It
was OS-level contention. Using Memcached in front of MySQL would've
reduced the load and allowed the admin script to do its work, but that
highlights the question: why even have MySQL behind memcached at all? We
don't need or even want non-volatile sessions. (Important note to
reader: you may need or want non-volatile sessions)

--
timeless