PHP vs. Python vs. Perl

Ian Holsman lists at holsman.net
Thu Jun 29 00:54:19 UTC 2006

personally I think the test is valid.

most developers are not going to go into the guts of a library and
tweak this and that to make it work faster. they don't care if it
uses C under the covers.
for all they care it could use a flying pigeon.

if PHP (as shipped) is faster than the existing Perl/Python (as
shipped) by 5-6x this is a important thing to note.

would it change my decision to write in language X? maybe... but it
does mean the guys who write the perl/python library should lift
their game and use a 'C' library to get a equivalent boost.

this of course assumes the memcache operation takes up a size-able
percentage of your request time.