PHP vs. Python vs. Perl

Harmen harm at tty.nl
Thu Jun 29 21:10:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 11:22:16AM -0700, Jon Drukman wrote:

> Ian Holsman wrote:
> >would it change my decision to write in language X? maybe... but it does
> >mean the guys who write the perl/python library should lift their game
> >and use a 'C' library to get a equivalent boost.
> >
> >this of course assumes the memcache operation takes up a size-able
> >percentage of your request time.
>
> i'd be stunned if that were true for anyone.  my benchmarking shows that
> even one simple mysql select is about 100-1000x slower than one memcache
> read.

The fun of memcache is you can often do without that expensive database
query, so it does gets to be the bottleneck.

Our pages are completly dynamic but we (mem)cache chunks of the html.
This way many requests require no mysql query at all. Profiling showed the memcache
calls (about 4 get_multi()s per page) used > 40% of the processing time. (Which, if your pages take <30ms to build, is really not that much in absolute time)
Our perlclient rewrite did fix that :)

Harmen