php, python, perl, again.

Paul T pault12345 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 30 18:52:47 UTC 2006

Brian,

The deal is :

You - send me 3 *command*line* scripts reproducing the
spike (below) + 3 logs that those 3 command line
scrips produce on your machine.

Me - tells you exactly what is wrong.

The three command line scripts (Perl/Python/PHP)
should be derived from one benchmark :

100 Gets  	7.13 	7.38 	13.38 	63.47

(This + the quote below == detects something idiotic
happening).

<quote>
100 Sets/Gets

In this test, 100 memcached sets are performed, each
time setting a new key with a new, small value. Then
those 100 keys are fetched. No output is sent to the
browser.

100 Gets

In this test, only the 100 gets of the same keys from
above are performed.
</quote>

If unrolling this benchmark into command line scripts
will *not* preserve the spike, then more work is
required.

In worse case that work could imply installing debian
on some fresh box and/or doing some research in the
way perl/python/PHP integrate with apache. I might do
that work for you too, but not for free. However, if
the spike will be preserverd in command line scripts,
then it should be easy to detect.

Rgds.Paul.

PS.

If your benchmark does *not* claim that PHP does 5-10
times better than Perl / Python on small 'gets' from
memcached, then this is going nowhere, please
disregard this email.