curr_items never decreases

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu May 18 18:52:49 UTC 2006

Mike Damm wrote:
> Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>
>> Right, this is important to understand if the cache is large enough.
>> If my business rules say the cache items should be available for 7
>> days, I need to know if I am pushing items out of the cache before
>> that time. So some stats on the number of items bumped out of the
>> cache before they expired and the average number of sec before they
>> expired. These stats should ignore items that have no expiry or just
>> could the number of items with no expiry that are purged.
>>
>> This would give me a good indication of how right sized the cache is
>> and how much I might need to add to it to bring it back in line with
>> the business rules.
>

> I'm not quite sure what you mean by "business rules," but if your system
> depends on things existing in the cache for 7 days, I think you might
> want to step back and take a look at your overall architecture.

Yeah, we have been looking at it. Items should be available for about 7
days in the cache. Nothing breaks catastrophically if it leaves sooner,
but clients session are no longer available and they will need to create
a new session. We are happy to size it for this, but I would like to get
it close initially and would like to know how much more I need to add to
get it right as load expands the demands on the cache.

-Steve