MySQL cluster vs memcached

Serhat Sakarya serhat at sakarya.nl
Fri Oct 13 08:45:56 UTC 2006

On 10/13/06, Kevin Burton <burton at tailrank.com> wrote:

> We really suffer from MySQL replication scalability issues.  Basically you
> can scale reads but not writes.......
>
> I'm thinking of migrating some portions of our app to MySQL cluster
> because basically it's an all memory DB and (in theory) should scale
> linearly if we need to index more data.

It's not going scale linearly in practice exactly because you're going to
have writes and communication overhead between the nodes. With a memcached
backend, you'll get much closer to actual linear scalability because there
is no internal communication necessary.

I would be looking more for the advantage of failover/reliability in
clustering the DB backend and use memcached for the actual scalability.

Regards,

Serhat