Better server selection client code?

Alex Stapleton alexs at advfn.com
Fri Oct 20 16:24:18 UTC 2006

Ah, I gave up on reading your code since I don't know any of Ruby's
magical syntax.

This approach seems like it would make redundancy slightly trickier
to implement. With the circular method outlined in the paper
redundant storage can be achieved by storing keys on the N servers
following the first matching server and then removing servers from
the circle as they fail.

Of course I have no idea if redundancy is even desirable for
memcached and your approach is O(1) (ceil() is constant time right?)
rather than O(log n) which is a nice advantage I suppose. :)

Alex Stapleton
alexs at advfn.com
T: 0207 0700 956